With just a few days before the new year, I’ve been thinking about my goals for 2007. I use the word “goal” because a resolution seems to always be something that gets broken, whereas a goal seems more concrete and less likely to be cast off. Here’s a look at what 2007 holds for me:
- Better fitness: The last couple months have been really difficult for my overall fitness. I took most of November off from the gym to participate in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). Even though I got back to the gym in December, my eating habits have not been good between the holidays and work (I admit, I’m a stress eater and work has been stressful the past few months). So, fresh start next week with proper eating and gym schedule.
- Complete Neutral Zone: Speaking of NaNoWriMo, I am already working to polish Neutral Zone (it’s about two hockey players in love, by the way, and has nothing to do with Star Trek). I read what I wrote during November and it’s got some good stuff in it (at least I think so) but there is also a fair bit of not-so-good too. I’ve used some of the tools and techniques that Will has been using to clean up my character definitions and plot and I’m going to do a second draft that is hopefully a lot tighter.
- More fiction: I loved writing the Neutral Zone, so I’m going to write more stories in the new year, possibly even submit them if I write something good enough and can find a publication for it.
- Back to volunteering: In the 2005-06 school year, I was working in the guidance office at The Door, helping young people there get through the college admissions process. I didn’t get to do that this year because work got way too busy in the fall to the point where I couldn’t easily get out to be at The Door for advising hours. I’m going to make sure I can make that work this coming fall (if The Door will have me back), and I’m going to try and get back there before that if there is anything I can do.
- Hockey: While there is nothing major going on this year like the Outgames, I still want to improve my game. My focus for 2007 is my shot, a better shot will lead to better scoring stats and that would be great!
And that’s the majority of my list. There are some other goals too, but I’m not sharing everything! Hopefully you’ve got some goals (or resolutions) in mind for 2007. I wish you much success on them.
Happy New Year!!!