How We Met:
We met for the first time in September 1993. Jeff had been in California for barely three months and had been encouraged by a co-worker to get involved in community theatre. The first thing was to usher several performances of Jesus Christ Superstar. The next was to have a walk-on in Lettice and Lovage. This is where we first encountered each other as Will was the light board operator.
After that there were many “hellos” and “nice to see you agains” at theatre events over the next two years.
In March 1995 we got cast together in It Runs in The Family. Jeff played a ditzy doctor and Will played a rebellious 20-something in this farce set in a hospital. We quickly discovered we had lots in common: a love of ABBA, movies, 70s television and more.
Will took it upon himself to find out more about Jeff by asking our mutual friend, Clint, for details.
Meanwhile Jeff was doing the same thing, except he didn’t know that Will was going to make a move first.
On May 1, 1995, we met up to take in a showing of the remake of Village of the Damned at the Eureka Theater. Afterwards we walked back to Jeff’s car, parked at the corner of 7th and F streets and talked for hours (sometime after midnight). Finally Jeff said he had to go because he had work the next morning and even had things to do before bed to prepare for the next day.
It was then that Will finally said what had been on his mind: “Will you go out with me?”
That led to another flurry of talking and we became a couple — albeit a quiet one. We spent tons of time together after that night talking and getting to know each other more. Clint was thrilled that we’d decided to go out and we were quickly becoming the talk of our friends as we were seen everywhere together.
We finally went public sometime around late May/early June with our relationship and we’ve been inseparable ever since.
After more than six months of getting to know one another and “going out,” we decided to move in together. We signed the lease for our first home on Valentine’s Day 1996.
On May 1, 1996, Jeff brought Will back to the corner of 7th and F and proposed marriage and put a ring on his finger.
The wedding took place on September 7, 1997 at the Ferndale Repertory Theatre with family and friends gathered to witness our commitment to each other.
We moved from Eureka to New York City in December 1998 and initially lived in Brooklyn followed by a May 2002 move into lower Manhattan.
We became legally married in the State of New York on October 19, 2011 with a City Hall ceremony.
As Featured On…
Jeff Adams and Will Knauss, along with their podcasts and books, have been featured on a number of shows and websites:
- Frolic: Rainbow Youth: 9 Queer YA Stories for Your Summer Reading List (May 31, 2021)
- Frolic: 9 Gay Romances We’re Looking Forward to This Spring (April 30, 2021)
- Frolic: 11 Black Authors Writing Amazing LGBTQ+ Characters (February 24, 2021)
- Frolic: Gay Romance Starter Guide: 3 Series to Get Started (November 16, 2020)
- O: The Oprah Magazine: 26 of the Best Book Podcasts to Listen to When You’re Not Reading (October 30, 2020, updated from September 26, 2019)
- Rebel Author Podcast: 055 How to Run an Author Podcast with Jeff Adams and Will Knauss (October 14, 2020)
- BuzzFeed: 52 Podcasts For Every Type Of Book Lover (October 2, 2020)
- Best Book Ever Podcast: 014 Jeff Adams on “The Understatement of the Year” by Sarina Bowen (August 31, 2020)
- Great Writers Share Podcast: Getting Started with Gay Romance Fiction, Collaboration, and Keeping the Creative Passion Burning (August 7, 2020)
- La Porte County (Indiana) Public Library: 10 Best Book Podcasts to Find Your Next Read (July 14, 2020)
- Frolic: Celebrating Pride Month with Books! (June 8, 2020)
- Good Morning America: Virtual Pride Events Offer New Way to Celebrate LGBTQ History and Culture in June (June 2020)
- GLAAD 2020 Pride Guide: Big Gay Fiction Podcast Pride Month Celebration (June 2020)
- Paper Planes: 13 Bookish Podcasts for Readers of All Kinds (May 30, 2020)
- The Writer’s Well Podcast: Episode 177: How Do You Organize and Use the Information You Learn about Writing? (May 27, 2020)
- Klunatics Podcast: Episode 8: Humor, Heart & Surprise Fisting (May 10, 2020)
- D2D Spotlight: A Conversation with Jeff Adams & Will Knauss (May 8, 2020)
- What Women Want: Gay Romance: Documentary film on m/m romance (May 2020)
- The Creative Penn Podcast: #486 – Writing and Working Together as a Creative Couple with Jeff Adams and Will Knauss (April 27, 2020)
- Frolic: Hockey Players Heat up the Pages (April 16, 2020)
- Book Riot: 33 of the Best Book Podcasts for All Genres (March 13, 2020)
- Tea & Strumpets A Regency Romance Review: 018 – Turners 1 – The Soldier’s Scoundrel (January 16, 2020)
- Frolic: LGBT Romance Community Comes Together at GayRomLit (October 28, 2019)
- Smart Podcast, Trashy Books: 374. Artisanal Podcasting Under the Big Gay Umbrella: A Conversation with Jeff Adams and Will Knauss (October 25, 2019)
- Women.com: Listen to these 8 Romance Podcasts for a Little Love in Your Life (March 13, 2019)
- Smart Podcast, Trashy Books: 323. A Big Gay Fiction Interview with Jeff Adams and Will Knauss (November 2, 2018)
- How Do You Write? Podcast: Ep. 069: Jeff and Will on Sharing a Podcast and Writing and Life (December 1, 2017)