There’s a kind of perverse joy that comes from watching a truly awful movie musical. Bad acting. Bad dancing. Bad songs. The roller disco extravaganza Xanadu (1980) is considered by many to be the Mount Everest of bad movie musicals, with the Village People’s Can’t Stop the Music (1980) running a close second. But there is another, lesser known, contender that was also released in 1980. Thanks to a series of midnight shows and cable airings, Menahem Golan’s The Apple has achieved a whole new cult fan base. This freaky multi-genre spectacular has earned a place along side Xanadu andCan’t Stop the Music as a movie musical that is so completely misguided that it must be seen to be believed.
- Episode 378 – Lily Morton Brings the Scares with “The Sceptic”
- Episode 377 – Getting “Strong” with Rob Kearney and Eric Rosswood
- Episode 376 – Get Ready for Summer Vacation with a YA Reading List
- Episode 375 – A Dozen Books for Your May Reading
- Episode 374 – Big Gay Fiction Book Club Spring 2022: “I’m So (Not) Over You” by Kosoko Jackson